Friday, October 24, 2008

Is Orton the Real Deal?


There's been a whole lot of "buzz" this past week about locking up Kyle Orton to a long term deal and I just plain don't get it. The Bears are 7 games into the season 1 game over .500 and to be honest, I don't seem to see the same incredible talent in him that the masses seem to see. I'm not saying he's played poorly, but he hasn't exactly been tested by a real good defense yet either. If he were to light it up against somebody the caliber of Tennessee or Pittsburgh, then I might begin to rethink things, but for now, he's nothing more then an ordinary quarterback. On second thought.....maybe not quite ordinary yet. Let's let him get a full season under his belt before he's anointed as the savior.


I was listening to Doug Buffone and Hub Arkush the other day and Hub brought up a great example in relation to not being to quick to "lock up" Orton. Packer running back Ryan Grant was unstoppable the second half of last year. So impressive that the Packers signed him to a long term deal. Now in his second year and 7 games into the season he's averaging just over 3 yards a carry. Not looking all that good right now. Things can change, but I don't see the rush to sign a guy who isn't proven and Orton is definitely not proven anything yet. Let's see where his numbers are at the end of the season before the Bears sign the 'neck scarf' to any kind of long term commitment. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him as being the solution.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orton is as good as Henry Burris, Cade McNown, Moses Moreno, Jonathan Quinn and Kordell Stewart. Put in Grossman already, he will get wins.

Good Dokter said...

I tend to agree with that. He's certainly not Jim McMahon, Erik Kramer or Jim Miller.

Anonymous said...

You two jokers watching the same Bears games as me? if Orton didn't get hurt he had a great chance of going to the Pro Bowl.

Good Dokter said...

I had as good a chance to make the Pro Bowl as Orton did. The NFL may not have a lot of star quality QB's right now, but th think that Orton is one of the best in the NFC? He's probably the 2nd best in the NFC North behind Aaron Rogers and a hair better then Gus Ferrotte. I'll throw a few other names out there that blow Kyle away for Pro Bowl Consideration. How bout NcNabb, Romo, Brees, Eli (even though I hate him) and Warner.

Anonymous said...

Orton to the Pro Bowl. I can't stop laughing! It's good you have Lovie Smith posting his thoughts. I suppose Devin Hester is going to the Pro Bowl also.